Sunday, July 6, 2008

Random Acts ... of Kindness with the Pool Bees

Asking questions is always a good practice in life. One question to ask on a daily basis is ... What can I learn from someone's random act of kindness? Essentially ... What can I learn from watching others ... and how do their selfless acts influence me?

A good teacher will always reflect on his or her practices. Reflecting should be done with such automaticity that it becomes second nature. At least, that's what reflection has become for me. Even a better question to ask might be ... What life lessons can I learn from my own random acts of kindness? and ... How can this become so engrained in my way of behaving that it would be unusual for me to do otherwise?

Often when peacefully floating my time away in my pool ... I have made it my mission to save the bees that accidently find themselves on top of the water struggling to fly free. It's not unusual to save at least 2 or 3 bees a day. I scoop them out, careful not to get stung (hmm, no good deed goes unpunished - Do you believe that?) ... Anyway, there the little fella is on the hot, now wet pavement, frantically rubbing his face and squiggying the water off his body, just as a cat would clean it's face after eating.

I love watching PoolBee work hard to dry himself and within a matter of moments, he is off and flying for a 2nd, maybe 3rd, chance at life. (They all look alike; I may have saved the same bee twice in one day!) I smile and know that I made a difference for that little bee, and I am pleased to know that I've done my job for the day with the "pool bees." It feels good to save a life, even though it's a little bee, you know?

We all need to nurture and care for things in our lives. This is really like drinking water - It's absolutely essential for our own well being. What little, and big, things do you do to nurture the people around you everyday? Is there a lesson to learn from observing all that is around you?

1 comment:

Blighty&CA said...

What a great blog! Your comments reminded me of the last line Blanch Dubois utters in the Tennessee Williams play "A streetcar named Desire". As the men in the white coats gently usher her out of the door she turns and says "I have always depended on the kindness of others". Well, haven't we all.

Thanks for a very thought provoking blog.